[Xastir] USB gps Receiver reccomended

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri May 8 18:50:50 EDT 2015

On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 03:35:20PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <electricity440 at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Running xastir on my macbook on mountain lion, what USB gps recevier will
> work?
>
> Will this one work?
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PKX2KA/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p422_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0VM3811R2A427M91KB0W&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop
>
> Is it plug in and play, or do I need to set up code for it. Are USB gps's
> and compatible with xastir

Xastir can't talk directly to USB gps units unless they provide virtual
serial port in some manner (some do, as do some bluetooth GPS units) --- and I
can't speak to which units will do tha on OS X.  However Xastir *can* connect
to a "gpsd" daemon, and gpsd is generally able to grok USB gps units of all
sorts.

It works great on Linux machines but one of our Mac users on the group will
have to help you with getting gpsd set up on your machine.  On Linux it is
often as simple as telling a package manager to install gpsd, then plugging
in the gps -- gpsd gets started automagically, and then you just tell Xastir
to connect to it (by creating a "networked gpsd" interface and starting it
up).  I have no idea if gpsd even runs on OS X, but it probably does.