[Xastir] Fix the Interface error

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon May 11 16:36:20 EDT 2015

Did the chmod command come back with any errors when you ran it sudo?

The hard fail on the interface means that either something else
already has the port, or that the user/group/permissions on the port
aren't sufficient for you to access it.  On my boxes (OpenSuSE) the
chmod 4755 bit works fine, 'cuz then Xastir can access the ports as
root.

You may have to add yourself to the dialout group or some other group
that has access to the port, then log out and back in again to gain
the new privileges and try it again.  Do this in /dev:
  ls -al ttyS*

Then see if "dialout" is the group they belong to.  If so, add your
username to the "dialout" group using your admin GUI tools if
possible, else just edit the "/etc/group" file directly.

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 9:20 AM, Skyler F <electricity440 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having the interface error when I try to start my interface from the
> interface menu:
>
> Device 0 DOWN Serial KISS TNC /dev/soundmodem0
>
> Now I click START
>
> It is still stuck on DOWN, and the terminal outputs:
>

> Interface Error!  Error opening interface 0 Hard Fail
>
> I attempted the command:
>
> sudo chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir
>
> But it did not change anything, and gave me the same error.  Is there
> anything else I should try?
>

> Thanks for the help,
>
> Skyler
>
> --