[Xastir] Script to cache some maps

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 17:39:46 EST 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 1:58 PM, David Ranch <xastir at trinnet.net> wrote:

> Ok.. so this is was part of the detail that I'm not familiar with and why
> I asked what that 11GB of data really consists of.

IIRC it is OSM vector data for some or all of the united states.

My stash of vector data is 100k and/or 24k topo data, National Atlas data,
and about 10 states worth of the old TIGER shapefiles, and it totals about
12Gb.

> I agree it's not practical to store, maintain, and update TBs of data but
> is that what we're really looking at here?  For me, I would think I'd like
> to have:

Well, if we're talking about a hypothetical online tile cache for xastir
users, yes.  _you_ want Silicon Valley.  _I_ want Alabama, north Georgia,
middle and eastern Tennessee, and the Florida panhandle.  Basically
everyone wants their home turf in full detail so we're effectively talking
about the whole US.

I don't recall details on how big the tiles are, but when tile servers
first came online I set up a 50Gb VM and started caching at all zoom
levels.  It became clear it was impractical.

-Jason
kg4wsv