[Xastir] Script to cache some maps

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 19:54:01 EST 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Hal Mueller <hal at seanet.com> wrote:

> The point of using a tile server is to leverage the amount of work already
> devoted to making beautiful maps, rendered quickly, and to serve them
> efficiently. It also keeps APRS (and other) clients from having to get into
> the cartography business.

In the case of xastir, too late. :)

> From the points made in this discussion, it sounds like Xastir can use
> those hierarchical tile sets. I don’t see any such claim at
> http://xastir.org/index.php/Xastir_Maps#Raster_Maps or
> http://xastir.org/index.php/HowTo:MAPS, though.

They're called "online maps".

> Can Xastir be pointed to a tree of hierarchical tiles?

Sort of not exactly.  The online map code is different from the offline map
code in that the georeferencing data seems to be stored in the map cache
database.

Looks like I played with this about 3 years ago.  From the remnants it
seems i had hacked out a script to download OSM tiles and another to
generate the corresponding .geo file that xastir needs to use it as an
offline map.  I don't recall how well it worked out.  As I said earlier, I
abandoned the project because of the disk space requirements.

> Or even better, can it read mbtiles (raster or vector)?

nope, don't think so.

-Jason
kg4wsv