[Xastir] Script to cache some maps

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 07:41:47 EST 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:23 PM, Skyler F <electricity440 at gmail.com> wrote:

> So the ultimate solution for the raspberry pi folks would be to run a tile
> server on their home computer (so there is no violation of terms and you
> can download as many tiles as needed), and then run this script to cache as
> many maps as needed onto their pi. I think that is the way to go!

This sorta sounds like the worst of both worlds to me - you are still tied
to your home network connectivity to get maps, but you additionally have
all of the hassles of running a server just to keep maps available.  ugh.

I'm with Andrew, my "ultimate" is vector data that xastir can ingest
directly.

The only reason for me to set up a map server is if I can't get said vector
data formatted for xastir.  There's a slight advantage to sourcing OSM
data, since that's the FOSS GIS data du jour.  A portable tile server (e.g.
mobile, incident command post, remote event HQ, etc) would likely require a
fairly well endowed computer (high end laptop, potent SBC like an Intel
NUC, or _maybe_ a higher end ARM like a Jetson TK1).  I seriously doubt
Pi/beaglebone/etc is going to get the job done as a tile server, they're
just too anemic computationally.

-Jason
kg4wsv