[Xastir] Script to cache some maps

Fred Hillhouse Jr fmhillhouse at comcast.net
Thu Nov 19 17:57:32 EST 2015

5/5/5 will produce the same results for most "slippy" tile schemes.

The lat/long bounds are typically the same. But as usual, there are a few
that play differently. If you look at the tiles from flightaware, the tiles
are 600x600 rather than 256x256. For OrdanceSurvey, the tiles are 250x250.
There are a few others that use 256x256 but the bounds are unique. The odd
ducks really don't add anything of value except OS tiles.

While some follow the same scheme (OSM, Google(old), Mapquest), others do
thing like swap X & Y (ArcGIS). Others will do a notY (nautical,
aeronautical). For notY, the math is 2^Z-Y=notY.

Some of the tiles I've played with are, nautical and aeronautical and
satellite imagery. I think nautical charts are available in other forms,
(maybe even usable in Xastir). I only found aeronautical in tiles. It is
interesting to follow a commercial airplane on the high IRF charts while
tracking an APRS user.

Some tiles are PNG and others are JPG.

I normally use OSM, Topo, imagery, and nautical. I like OSM because I can
add details but it lacks in terrain details such as contours. Overall, OSM
is improving. Topo tiles are usually old data but the terrain (contours)
really hasn't changed much over the years and besides, I grew up on 15 and
7.5' maps. When the big one hits we will need new topos for the west coast
and my new Arizona coastline. Imagery is pretty good but tile memory size is
usually bigger and also kind of pointless for anything other than a large
zoom level so the collection stays small. With nautical, I follow N1ZZZ and
KE5KTU (north eastern seaboard, NY to ME) when they're active.

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH