[Xastir] Potential migration of Xastir to github

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Apr 13 17:36:16 GMT 2016

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 10:12:33AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <xastir at trinnet.net> flavor, containing:

> Hello Tom,
>
> SourceForge also has Git support (I use it) and it works well. Beyond
> the SCM of choice, do you have specific issues with SF? SF also offers
> some features that Github doesn't have like email lists, etc.

I have no specific issues with SF.  We don't use their email lists, so that's
not a win.  And in my experience their email lists are not an improvement
over the ones that Curt maintains.

I have a lot more experience with github, and like its interface and
capabilities.

A lot of the folks who have contributed to Xastir in the past are using
github for lots of other things, and so am I.

I am not married to either --- if there is strong opinion one way or another
I think both Curt and I are open to input.

There will be no major move in this direction (other than the proof of
principle I've already done) until at least June, when Curt's time frees up
more.  I'd like not to wait too much longer than that, because I'm in the
middle of a big CVS to Git migration at work right now, and the tasks we
have there are similar to what will have to be done for Xastir.