[Xastir] POSM (Portable OpenStreetMap) for APRS

Kurt ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 3 12:46:52 PDT 2016

On a Debian 8 "Jessie" on a single CPU ARM "pi like" Pocket CHIP device (https://getchip.com/pages/chip) takes 2 minutes 20 seconds to call up an old Cloudmade map of my state Illinois.  Has a 279mb footprint in the 3gb available storage.I wish a solution along those lines could be pursued in the future.  A simple drop-in mapset along the lines of APRS droid with the 2.3gb offline mapset that's available.If one doesn't have the skills to reduce map data, it at least gives them a starting point.  The Tiger and Cloudmade sets got me started 9 years ago.
I had help from the group to reduce geo.pdfs and even though startup is cpu intense, an old quad core laptop is pretty decent.  I display the Cloudmade or Tiger along withthe geo.tiffs and it's a pretty decent display.  Kurt KC9LDH