[Xastir] New Online Maps in Git (Canada & U.S.)

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Aug 18 15:26:43 PDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 05:20:09PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <david.aitcheson at gmail.com> flavor, containing:

> Another observation on my Ubuntu 14.04.4-LTS system...
>
> In /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/Online/ the only files that updated are
> the "OSM_tiled_*" files the others (Canada_* and US_NWS_Radar*) are
> still dated July 26.

Those files were removed from the Xastir distribution some time back, and
are no longer installed by the install process.

By design, the build/install process does not remove anything from your maps
directory that it doesn't know about -- for all it knows, you put it there
yourself and would be furious to have it removed automatically.  When
Canada* and US_NWS_Radar* were removed from the source distribution, your
stale copies of those files became something in your maps directory it
doesn't know about, and that it won't delete.

This is always the case with scripts and map files that Xastir installs.  When
we remove the source and tell the build system to stop installing them, the
build system has no way of distinguishing these now-useless old copies from
other files in the maps/scripts directory that you put there yourself.

If you know before you do a source update that an update is going to remove
files that used to get installed, you can avoid this sort of thing by
doing a "make uninstall" *before* updating from git, then update the code
and do a reinstall.  The make uninstall will remove everything that it had
installed before, and after the git update, the new install won't reinstall
the deleted files.

But once you've downloaded the new code from git this stops being an option.
Your only choice now is to remove the files that are no longer installed by
the build process.

You should remove those old geos.  They are worthless, because the servers
they used to point to went off line permanently.