[Xastir] Airplanes, anyone an expert?

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Feb 23 15:01:35 EST 2016

You probably don't want to auto-switch at all.

Examples:

Ultralight and light-sport aircraft often have stall speeds as low as
25-30kt.  Keep in mind winds aloft can easily exceed this speed, so it
is possible to have ground speeds (which is what a GPS will measure) near 0.

APRS reports feet MSL (above Mean Sea Level) but that is not all that
helpful.  If you're in Colorado and your elevation is 6000ft, then
7000ft isn't that high.

There are things like pressurized Cessnas and other twins.

I think it probably doesn't make sense to auto-differentiate like this.

If you've got to, maybe if you have the tail number from ADS-B you can
look up its class that way.

Really, like anything else APRS, those categories are broad and not
specifically-defined.  I mean, obviously a 747 is a large aircraft and
an ultralight is a small airplane...  but what's a regional jet?  Or a
twin piston, or twin turboprop?  Just throw everything up as aircraft
and let it be.

John