[Xastir] Airplanes, anyone an expert?

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 16:23:56 EST 2016

Hah!  I wish we had enough aircraft to be confused in that manner!

No installed ADS-B yet. Plus I'd like to see CAP or other aircraft going
through the search area and wouldn't know squak or tail numbers
before-hand. The symbol is just a nicety anyway, we'd quickly learn what
was what in an actual search, no matter the symbol.

Not sure about the Alpha, but know our K9 teams are all over them. Reminds
me of a joke:  Guy walks into a forest...

I'll try to remember to talk to Guy about it next time I see him. Might be
able to work something out. Also: I saw that the latest DMapper blurb
talked about working with Garmin Basemap...

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Tom Hayward <tom at tomh.us> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Curt Mills <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Curt, member of Snohomish County Volunteer Search and Rescue since '99.
>
> I know you guys up in Snohomish County have a larger air-ops budget
> than we do in Pierce County, but is the number of available aircraft
> really so large that it's more efficient to do speed analysis heuristics to
> determine symbol instead of a simple lookup table with callsign and symbol?
>
> BTW, Guy was asking me about exporting Garmin Alpha positions to other
> apps. This seems right up your alley. Could Xastir do this with the
> Rino polling feature?
>
> Tom KD7LXL

Curt, WE7U
http://wetnet.net/~we7u