[Xastir] New script: ads-b.pl for snagging airplane positions

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 14:41:02 EST 2016

Update - my new dongle works, and the script works so I can see the planes
on a Xastir local display.  Thanks for sharing this, Curt.

Fyi for those that want to try it out, this is what it took in Ubuntu 14.04.

In order to get dump1090 up and running, I had to build librtlsdr first,
which I got from here, https://github.com/steve-m/librtlsdr.

Building librtlsdr required installing the libusb-1.0-0-dev package from
the Ubuntu repo.  Also if you don't have the cmake package installed you
will need that as well.

Lastly I had to blacklist an RTL kernel module by adding  the following
line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf:

blacklist dvb_usb_rtl28xxu

I'm seeing some planes over 100 miles away.

Lee - K5DAT