[Xastir] recommendations for digi / network tools

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 14:09:45 EST 2016

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 12:34 PM, <lleachii at aol.com> wrote:

> Xastir is capable of iGating and digipeating already, why would you need
> another software?

Well, according to Tom's message from a couple of days ago:

 Xastir is a great APRS client, and you can do a
> lot with the server port, but it really isn't great at doing things like
> gating network traffic (other than messages) to RF.  Making it gate objects
> requires having the object packet appear to use the same "FROM" call that
> Xastir is using.  Making it gate anything other than objects can be a real
> challenge.

So xastir doesn't do general purpose igating.  I have successfully gated
objects in the past, but I need to gate/repeat packets from another network
in a general purpose manner.

Xastir has similar restrictions on digipeating.  It isn't a general purpose
tool for that.

While what I'm doing technically (in network terminology) is gateway
functionality, in reality the 2 networks are close enough that a (very)
general purpose repeater could do it.

And yes, I can run xastir on a BBB no problem.  with a touchscreen and
Curt's #defines for small screen optimization, no less.

-Jason
kg4wsv