[Xastir] Kubuntu _and_ Raspberry Pi build fails

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jan 6 23:50:57 EST 2016

On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 11:13:50PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
>      ** Configure works by creating a small test program that
>      calls "WriteImage" and then tries to link that test program with
>      -lGraphicsMagick.** If the link fails, it reports that the function does
>      not
>      exist, but there are often other reasons for the failure.
>
>      Look in config.log and see what the linker is actually complaining
>      about.** I'll
>      bet it's complaining about some other function not being defined when
>      linking
>      -lGraphicsMagick.** Then the trick is to find what library provides
>      *THAT* and
>      why it hasn't already been added to LIBS.
>
>      Our configure script is supposed to use
>      ** GraphicsMagick-config --libs
>      to get the correct libs line to use.** That, in turn, is supposed to
>      return
>      a list of all "-l" arguments that should be used to link with
>      GraphicsMagick.
>      If there is something missing in that list, it could cause this problem.
>
>    ***Thanks - I forgot about config.log.** I found this a few lines down
>    from the check for "WriteImage in lGraphicsMagick"
>
>    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lwebp
>
>    Hmm, webp, "Lossy compression of digital photographic images" - that
>    sounds like something GraphicsMagick might use - or need.** The webp
>    package was installed but not libwebp-dev, so perhaps the dev package for
>    GraphicsMagick should be installing that as a dependency.

Bingo.  It's just a packaging error for GraphicsMagick-dev, which should be
requiring libwebp-dev as a dependency.

FWIW, I just checked on my Ubuntu 14.04 system, and GraphicsMagick-config --libs
does not show a -lwebp dependency, but my FreeBSD system does, and shows
webp as an *optional* feature of GM --- so the maintainer must have decided
to enable that option, but forgot to propagate the dependency in the dev
package.

It should be reported upstream --- the package maintainer should know that
the package dependencies are busted.