[Xastir] Xastir Digest, Vol 199, Issue 1

Dexter N Muir dexy at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jan 8 14:55:31 EST 2016

On 09/01/16 06:00, xastir-request at lists.xastir.org wrote:
>> >I'm sure you will find sudo is installed on a standard Debian install -
>> >I've done many of them.
>> >But you need to set it up. Not every install should have sudo
>> >operational for the first user installed, although it can be handy at
>> >home.
>> >Enjoy your Debian experiments.
>> >
>> >Liz
>> >VK2XSE
>> >
> The last version of Debian I installed that didn't install sudo at
> installation time was around V2.2, around the year 2000.
>
> However, even though sudo normally installs with modern Debian versions,
> /etc/sudoers may not be automatically configured for your username at
> installation time.
>
> Ray vk2tv

Thanks folks.

    Once again, Google to the rescue: 'debian configure sudo' gave a
'fix' reply that gave the info. Done, and much happier. Now with sudo
working, update and upgrade complete properly. Still no benefit to
screen res - noted some missing bits from the non-free as the update
flew past - and still no sane shutdown :(
    Further to the script, Lee: libgraphicsmagick1-dev needed.
Graphicsmagick itself is just the runtime - is it provided in a fresh
install anyway? and did 6 haul in the -dev with it? I didn't note before
starting this adventure. And yes, too many root passwords! Working sudo
might cure that by replacing the 'su -c's? And are they all necessary
anyway? (just a 'cosmetic', as the Italian auto industry puts it:
"omologato" :) ).

    Finally, a working 2.0.7 in Jessie! Thanks, all, and Lee: a working
script headed your way off-list. You might want to tidy it up before
release into the wild. Diffs there might propagate into Ubuntu and
Raspbian (and other?) scripts, too?

73
Dex, ZL2DEX