[Xastir] Xastir development source now on github, sourceforge CVS now closed to new commits.

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Jul 7 09:31:21 PDT 2016

As announced a couple of months ago, Curt and I have been talking about moving
Xastir version control over to github, and discontinuing use of sourceforge
and CVS for hosting the main repository.

There wasn't much feedback from the group about that, and yesterday we went
ahead and did it.  The sourceforge CVS repository is still there, but all
commit access has been locked down and we'll shut down the CVS repo altogether
when we're sure this is all working properly.

We have not yet migrated the issue tracking data from sourceforge to github,
but that is not a high priority as we have not been using the issue tracker
much, and most of the issues that are there have been getting ignored for
years.

We may continue to use Sourceforge for distribution of release tarballs.
In fact, we will almost certainly continue to use Sourceforge for that.

The Xastir wiki and home page have NOT yet been updated to reflect this
move of version control.  It will be.

In the meantime, if you have been using CVS to keep current with Xastir,
you'll have to change.

The short story:

To get a copy of the development repository, you must have git installed
on your system.

To obtain the repo for the first time:
   git clone https://github.com/Xastir/Xastir.git

This will create an Xastir subdirectory, and put a clone of the repository
into it as well as checking out the "master" branch of the code into that
working directory.

At this point, your Xastir subdirectory can be used just as you had used
a cvs checkout to build Xastir.

Periodically, you can update the code by "cd"ing into the repo directory
and executing:
  git pull

If you intend to contribute code to the Xastir project, there's going to be
more to learn, but if you were just using CVS to get access to the latest
source, these two commands will be sufficient to get you up to speed, and
correspond very, very roughly to the "cvs checkout" and "cvs update" commands
you were used to.

A new README.GIT file exists in the source tree, just as there had always
been a README.CVS.