[Xastir] Xastir sound files missing..

David Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Sat Jul 16 17:36:08 PDT 2016

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the reply

> Those files have always been a separate zipfile on sourceforge, and
> have never been in CVS. I am thinking a separate git project
> associated with the Xastir organization is the right approach.

Oh.. interesting and digging around for a while, I found it in a rather
hidden place on sf.net

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xastir/files/xastir-miscellaneous/General/xastir-sounds.tgz/download

Ay specific reason for WHY this is done this way?  Since these files are
in a different archive, most distributions aren't including it, etc.  I
think it would be cleaner to get it into the main archive and would only
add 850Kbytes of space.   Btw, it seems the above xastir-sounds.tgz is
missing the thunder.wav file but David's archives had some alternative ones:

  unzip -t Xastir_Sounds.zip
Archive:  Xastir_Sounds.zip
     testing: Xastir_Sounds/           OK
     testing: Xastir_Sounds/bandopen.wav   OK
     testing: Xastir_Sounds/newbulletin.wav   OK
     testing: Xastir_Sounds/newmessage.wav   OK
     testing: Xastir_Sounds/newstation.wav   OK
     testing: Xastir_Sounds/proxwarn.wav   OK
     testing: Xastir_Sounds/thunder-01.wav   OK
     testing: Xastir_Sounds/thunder-02.wav   OK
     testing: Xastir_Sounds/thunder-03.wav   OK
No errors detected in compressed data of Xastir_Sounds.zip.

> Paths in Xastir are *always* relative to the Xastir share directory.  You
> can't specify absolute paths in any of Xastir's config (maps, symbols, sounds,
> etc.)
>
> The behavior you describe is what's expected.  Put your sounds files in
> /usr/share/xastir/sounds, and then tell Xastir what file you want played
> in the Audio Alarms config --- using just the file name, not the full path.

Ok.  I'm just used to most programs allowing to any absolute paths and
not relative ones.

--David
KI6ZHD