[Xastir] Maps?

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 14:54:56 PDT 2016

> On 07/19/2016 02:51 PM, Curt Mills wrote:
> > I'm willing to help to integrate additional map sources. I got into the
> > Xastir project back in 1999: Did the contiguous USGS topo map code back
> > then mostly because my bowhunting area was at the corner of four
> > quadrangles and it pissed me off having to carry four large paper maps.
> >
> > If we had a reliable source for maps that stayed around a few years, we
> > could integrate downloads of the maps for offline use as well as
> > internet-based use of maps. Unfortunately the project keeps outliving any
> > map source we come across. 18 years old now? Time to send it to college!

​Yet Another APRS Client, YAAC, uses the XML maps from OSM.  ​
http://planet.openstreetmap.org
While it might be a bit much to add direct support for those in Xastir, I
wonder how difficult it would be for Xastir to support the tiles that YAAC
creates after it imports the XML map. YAAC doesn't use the XML maps
natively - it imports and converts the maps into tiles.  I'm thinking maybe
if we're lucky those tiles are in the same format as the online OSM tiles.
Like shapefiles, they are not as pretty as the online OSM maps, but they're
still decent offline maps.

I believe YAAC is open-source, so the author may be open to sharing details
about the tiles.  The author also has an online tile server, but I would
not go as far as requesting the ability to use that.

Lee - K5DAT