[Xastir] ADS-B (planes)

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 09:49:38 EST 2016

FYI: I received data from 508 planes from 5pm yesterday until 6am this
morning. Of those, about 19% were equipped with ADS-B. The rest were
sending out altitude: Probably not equipped with ADS-B, else their GNSS
were turned off. Note: Altitude provided from the transponders is
barometric altitude, not from a GNSS.

So for the Seattle, WA area, ADS-B implementation is around 19% today. By
2020 any plane in the U.S. which flies above 2500' must have either ADS-B
1090 (MHz) out, or ADS-B 978 (MHz) UAT out. The percentage of planes we can
track should go up continuously during the next 4 years. Outside the U.S.,
only the 1090 MHz frequency is used. If flying above 18k inside the U.S.
they must also use the 1090 frequency. Overnight I was receiving both
frequencies and piping both through the ads-b.pl script and into Xastir.

--
Curt, WE7U
http://wetnet.net/~we7u