[Xastir] Missing dependency for gpx2shape

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Mar 24 02:57:18 EDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 08:53:36AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <eric at christensenplace.us> flavor, containing:
> On 03/21/2016 11:29 PM, Tom Russo wrote:
> >>
> >> Package.
> >
> > Ouch.  What OS again?  Sounds like they've got a busted set of dependencies.
>
> Debian 8.3

It just occurred to me: didn't you recently try to run the "get-maptools.sh"
script that was bundled with Xastir until I finally removed it from the
Xastir distribution last week?  That script would have installed an ancient
version of gdal and a fairly old version of proj, both many years out of date.

Did you clear out all the mess that created?  Perhaps there's still some
droppings left that are confusing the packaged gdal, or perhaps you're
accidentally using the source-installed gdal.  The possibilities for cornfusion
are endless --- perhaps the old ogr2ogr is trying to find the old proj, and
finding a newer one, or vice-versa.  You really need to make sure that nothing
is left from that get-maptools.sh mess.   get-maptools would have installed
old pcre, gdal, libgeotiff, and proj libraries.  All of them need to go.

Some things to try:

What does "type ogr2ogr" show?  Does it say "/usr/bin/ogr2ogr" (where the
debian package would put it) or "/usr/local/bin/ogr2ogr" (where the
get-maptools.sh build would have gone)?

If /usr/bin/ogr2ogr is the one in your path, try "ldd /usr/bin/ogr2ogr" to see
what proj library it thinks it can find.   It may be finding
/usr/local/lib/libproj, which is lacking some function that later versions of
proj (and any packaged proj from debian) have.

If it's /usr/local/bin/ogr2ogr,
you need to uninstall the get-maptools.sh-installed version.  Unfortunately,
gdal's build system doesn't have a "make uninstall" option (annoyingly), so
to remove it requires figuring out (using ls -l) all the files that got
installed at around the same time as /usr/local/bin/ogr2ogr.  They'll be
all over /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/include, /usr/local/doc,
/usr/local/man, and /usr/local/share/gdal.  It is an enormous pain to
uninstall it, since it creates no install manifest and has no uninstall target.

If /usr/bin/ogr2ogr is the only one on your system, and "ldd /usr/bin/ogr2ogr"
shows only libraries in /usr/lib (or lib64, or whatever), then my guess is
off the mark, and the get-maptools.sh thing is a non-issue, and the problem
is with debian packages, in which case you need to contact the package
maintainer and submit a bug report.