[Xastir] Starting xastir.

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed May 18 15:33:49 PDT 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 06:15:30PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kg4giy at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> I would guess the .desktop goes in the root of you home directory (/home/UID). Don't know about the icon. You could make one :)

The .desktop file more likely goes in the "Desktop" subdirectory of your
home directory.  At least, that's where normal gnome desktops expect them.

There is an icon installed by the Xastir build.  It'll be in the share
directory that got installed.  If you used a default prefix in a source
build of Xastir, that'll be /usr/local/share/xastir/symbols/icon.png.  If
a package-installed build from a repo, it'd be in /usr/share instead of
/usr/local/share.

On my Ubuntu laptop, the Xastir.desktop file I created is:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Xastir
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=xastir
Comment=APRS
Icon=/usr/local/share/xastir/symbols/icon.png

There are old threads that might tell you to set LOCALE here, but those
are obsolete and bad advice.  At least one user (me) found that doing that in
the .desktop file caused Xastir to stop responding to keyboard events in
dialog boxes after a little while.  Motif bug.