[Xastir] Starting xastir

Dexter N Muir dexy at xtra.co.nz
Wed May 18 18:02:54 PDT 2016

On 19/05/16 11:45, xastir-request at lists.xastir.org wrote:
> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 17:45:20 -0600
> From: Tom Russo<russo at bogodyn.org>
> To: Norm McMillan<vk3xci at gmail.com>
> Cc: Xastir - APRS client software discussion<xastir at xastir.org>
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] Starting xastir.
>
> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 09:29:12AM +1000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the<vk3xci at gmail.com>  flavor, containing:
>> >David, Tom,
>> >Thanks for the help. It's all coming back out the way it went in...
>> >slowly:-)
>> >No sign of icon.png for xastir on build 2.0.0-2.1ubuntu1 but no matter.
>> >Launching from the main menu with the default icon.
> Xastir 2.0.0 is*ANCIENT*.  You are much better off pitching that and building
> from source.  The current version is 2.0.7, released in April, 2015.  2.0.0
> was released in October 2010.  There have been bug fixes and compatibility
> updates since then that are important to get.
>
> One of those was the introduction the icon file, which happened in
> October 2012.  That's why you don't have it.
>
> Clearly, whoever created the Xastir package on your system has abandoned the
> package and not kept it current.  You will be much better served building
> from source.

Further to Tom's input (with full agreement), I have found the best way
is to use the cvs script at
http://www.175moonlight.com/xastir/xastir.html (Lee K5DAT's site). This
assumes ?buntu or ?bian OS, but should serve as a basis for a smooth
build on other linux systems (I run Kubuntu and Raspbian).
Hopefully helpfully,
Dex, ZL2DEX