[Xastir] anyone looked at 2015 TIGER files?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 10:15:03 PDT 2016

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 6:10 PM, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv at gmail.com> wrote:
> I grabbed the Alabama road files from the TIGER 2015 data set and
> started hacking out a dbfawk for it.

>  I really don't see a way to make
> a nice looking map.

I may have spoken too soon.  Looks like the 4 digit code I'd been
ignoring gives more info on the type of road, much more than the
single character I tried to key off of during my first attempt. in a
fit of desperation I read the metadata that accompanies the shapfiles
and found much more granular descriptions of the objects, even the 20%
that have no names or single character types.

Looks like they have record identifiers for various roads, alleys,
sidewalks, 4wd trails, stairways, etc.  Not sure how much of that data
is actually present.

at the moment i'm just working on Alabama, but I'll try to get around
to checking some other states and see how many of each type of record
is there, and if the dbfawk is reasonably complete.

-Jason
kg4wsv