[Xastir] Xastir doesn't recognize the GPS serial port

Iain R. Learmonth iain at learmonth.me
Mon Aug 21 09:16:17 PDT 2017

On 21/08/17 17:13, Menga wrote:
> This is a question related to Linux more than to Xastir.
> My GPS device ha a special serial/USB converter so that the system see
> it in the dev/serial as ttyACM0.
> On windows I have to run a script provided by the developer .inf as a
> driver.
> Linux sees the device as a serial port, but Xastir with port
> configurated as ttyACM0 doesn't receive the NMEA sentences.
> Any suggestion?

This sounds a pretty typical set up for a USB GPS receiver. You may have
an incorrect baud rate set (yes, it still has one even though it's USB,
because the converter will have a baud rate for the other side of it).

I've found it's usually, in decreasing order of occurrance, 4800, 9600
or 57600 baud. If that doesn't work, you could try other baud rates.

The manual should tell you what is expected.

Thanks,
Iain.