[Xastir] Xastir on Windows 10

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 16:48:09 PST 2017

Hi Curt,

Here's a text based step by step for getting Xastir to run in the bash
shell in Windows 10.

1. In order to install Xastir via the bash functionality available in
Windows 10, first you need to enable bash in your Windows installation.

Prerequisite:
Your PC must be running a 64-bit version of Windows 10 Anniversary Update
build 14393 or later.

To find your PC's CPU architecture and Windows version/build number, open
Settings>System>About. Look for the OS Build and System Type fields.
The System Type field shows whether your build is a 64 bit version or not,
and the OS Build field will indicate whether you're on build 14393 or later.

A. Turn on Developer Mode

Open Settings -> Update and Security -> For developers
Select the Developer Mode radio button

Note: Settings is one of the new Windows apps that showed up as of Windows
8, so it's not part of the Control Panel

B. Enable the Windows Subsystem for Linux feature

Open a PowerShell prompt as administrator and run:

  Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName
Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux

Alternatively from the Windows GUI...

Use the Cortana search and enter "Turn Windows features on or off", and
select what it finds. A Windows features box will appear.  Scroll down and
check the box for "Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta), and click OK.

C. Reboot - after enabling the subsystem for Linux feature, you must reboot
your computer!

D. Run Bash in Windows

Open a Windows Command prompt and type...
  bash <enter>

A message will be displayed indicating you are about to install Ubuntu on
Windows, and it will prompt you as follows:
  Type y to continue

Enter 'y', which will accept the license and install Ubuntu.

After you have accepted the License, the Ubuntu user-mode image will be
downloaded and a "Bash on Ubuntu on Windows" shortcut will be added to your
start menu.

To launch Bash on Windows, either run bash at a cmd/PowerShell
command-prompt, or use the start menu shortcut.

E. Create a Unix User

The first time you install Bash on Windows, you will be prompted to create
a UNIX username and password. UNIX username and password can be different
from, and has no relationship to your Windows username and password.

2. Xastir is a graphical application, so the next step is to enable running
graphical applications in your Linux installation

It is possible to run graphical Linux applications in Windows 10, but it's
not officially supported.  Users of Xastir have done it successfully,
however.

A. Install an X Server

There are several different X servers you can install on Windows. The Xming
server is recommended here simply because this Wiki author tried it, and it
worked well.
The Xming server can be found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/xming.
Download and install it - all that's needed is to accept the defaults when
installing. After accepting the defaults, Xming should automatically launch
and run in your system tray, waiting for you to run graphical programs.

B. Install Xastir

As of this writing, the beta bash feature in Windows 10 installs Ubuntu
version 14.04, so launch you bash shell in Windows, and follow the steps in
the Xastir Wiki to install Xastir.

http://xastir.org/index.php/HowTo:Ubuntu_14.04-16.04

C. Set the Display Environment Variable

set the “DISPLAY” environment variable to point at the X server running on
your Windows 10 PC. If you don’t do this, Xastir will fail to launch. To do
this issue the following command in your bash shell:
  export DISPLAY=:0

D. Run Xastir!

Still at the command prompt in your bash shell type the following:
  xastir &

Enjoy!