[Xastir] FIXED No iGate, please help

Den W2DEN at comcast.net
Thu Feb 16 07:19:20 PST 2017

I am running the latest Raspbian Jessie with Pixel. Downloaded this week
and then an update and upgrade.

I am no expert but have run into this myself where the Pi stalls asking
for the Pi password and will not allow you to login. The cause I found,
after a lot of searching, was executing xstartfrom the terminal as root.
Apparently this causes the ownership of the file /home/pi/.Xauthorityto
change to root. Not allowing Pi to login.

If you created a root password you can log in as root and then change
this ownership with:

chown pi:pi /home/pi/.Xauthority

If no root password then the only way I found around this was to
re-image. Sure would like to hear if there is another way.

The final solution is do not issue xstartas root. The gui should already
be running. I've never seen it not running. I know the command xstartis
in the Pi TNC-Pi tutorial and if you are root in terminal, due to a sudo
su, and then enter xstartyou just locked yourself out if you reboot
without fixing the .Xauthority file's permissions!

I'll let you explore how to create a root password, which I recommend.
Obviously those with more knowledge think we commoners, and the owner of
the Pi, should not use. To me that is ludicrous.

73
Den Spiess