[Xastir] Serial Interfaces will not start

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 07:30:25 PST 2017

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017, Joe S. Borovetz wrote:

> I have verified that the TNC is active on the serial port by using Minicom.

Note that Minicom has special privileges assigned to the binary on some installs. Even if it doesn't it's probably set to the correct group for access to your serial port. Check the permissions on your serial port or your USB->Serial adapter:

   $ ls -l /dev/ttyS0
   crw-rw----   1 root   dialout   4,  64 Feb 14 09:12 ttyS0

So my serial port is read/writable by the dialout group (the second set of "rw" applies to the group). I don't have a USB->Serial cable plugged in right now, but I think that usually comes in as "/dev/USB0" or similar. You can look at that device as well with "ls -l". Try "ls -l USB*".

After you figure out which group the ports are in, use your admin tools to add your login to that group, or edit /etc/group directly and add your name to the end of that line. Here's a typical entry in /etc/group:

   dialout:x:16:username

Change "username" to your login. Then log out and back in again (no need to reboot) and you should gain the "dialout" group privileges.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://we7u.wetnet.net/aprs_capabilities.html