[Xastir] WA8DED hostmode

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 07:18:33 PST 2017

I used to run DED code many years ago.It was easier than the TAPR code for
doing multiple connections at once, which I used heavily. I never tried the
computer-controlled mode. Implementing DED is certainly possible, but I've
not seen anyone ask for that before. We have 16 developers, all of whom are
inactive right now (including me).

I guess I'm curious how many would be able to make use of the feature... As
far as I know, few people use that code these days. Most everyone runs KISS
if they want computer control. If you have a "standard" type of TNC from
way back, you can always burn a double-sized EPROM, pull up the
highest-order address pin, and tie that to a toggle to switch between a
KISS TNC and a "regular" image. I used to do that. Just have to remember to
turn off the TNC before making the switch.

Implementing DED in Xastir would require adding a new interface type and
all the code behind it: Would be similar to the amount of code in the
Serial TNC or the Serial KISS TNC code. I have a pretty good idea how much
work it would be. Not terrible, but it would require focused effort for
several hours, probably several days by the time it was fully tested.

Your options are:

*) Do the double-sized EPROM trick.

*) Get one of the Xastir developers interested in implementing it.

*) Write / test the code yourself and submit the code to one of the more
active developers (probably Tom Russo or myself).

When I say "more active developers" I'm kind'a saying that tongue-in-cheek.
I'm picking on myself just as much as everyone else. ;-)

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 2:29 AM, F1MHV <f1mhv at free.fr> wrote:

> Hello Group,
>
> Do you believe it would be doable to implement WA8DED Hostmode beside Kiss
> and other serial connections?
>
> The goal being to get rid off UI-View (only aprs client offering WA8DED
> hostmode as far as i know) for my mobile ops.
>
> 73 de Cyril - DF1CHB/AM - F1MHV/M

Curt, WE7U
http://we7u.wetnet.net
http://www.sarguydigital.com