[Xastir] NWS radar overlay

Chris Pitre ve3ctp at cogeco.ca
Sun Jul 9 13:07:29 PDT 2017

Pic attached shows radar image on uiview map.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: "Curt, WE7U" <curt.we7u at gmail.com> Date: 2017-07-09  15:54  (GMT-05:00) To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir at lists.xastir.org> Subject: Re: [Xastir] NWS radar overlay
On Sun, 9 Jul 2017, Chris Pitre wrote:

> It was an add in for uiview called nwsget.
> What it did was overlayed the nws radar image on the uiview map, providing that you were using mapping software from precision mapping. Which I was.
> The nws enable feature is turned on and I was viewing the alerts on the map when we had severe storms come thru on Friday.
> The nws url was changed and now that add on is useless.

Roger. It's the use of the term "radar" that was confusing me. It sounds like you want the NWS alert areas lighting up. Yes, Xastir can do that. You need to be running the latest Xastir from Git (compiled yourself), and run the "get-NWSdata" script as root to snag the datafiles. That script should be in /usr/local/share/xastir/scripts directory once you've compiled/installed the latest version of Xastir.

FWIW: I'm one of the two people generating the APRS packets that light up those alerts. I generate maybe half of the types, another guy generates the others.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
APRS:  Where it's at!        http://www.xastir.org