[Xastir] Map Fonts

Ken Koster n7ipb at wetnet.net
Tue Mar 14 16:31:58 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:57:02 PM PDT Dexter N Muir wrote:
> > From: Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv at gmail.com>
> > To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir at lists.xastir.org>
> > Subject: Re: [Xastir] Map Fonts

> > Not sure what a "balloon" font is.  The default is a courier-like font,
> > IIRC.
> >
> > I suspect what you are seeing is the font outline/background. Look at
> > the map display prefs and see if there's a menu for station text
> > background none/outline/gray/black , or something along those lines.
> > Sorry, working from fuzzy memory here and I don't have an xastir box
> > handy.
> >
> > -j
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 8:28 AM, Den <DenS1950 at comcast.net> wrote:
> >> I am running Xastir on a Raspberry Pi and am very impressed except for
> >> the
> >> map station font. It is almost impossible to read the 'balloon' letters.
> >> have no experience with rPi fonts and could use a little help pick
> >> something that is easy to read. A simple 'stick', non-balloon, font like
> >> Arial would be great.
> >> Thanks for your help.
> >> W2DEN
>
> Me too, and yes it's outlined font. My preference would be just BOLD.
> There's no option for 'plain' or 'bold' in that menu, why on earth was
> that ignored with the change of default? + + + Re-do from start + + + ,
> Out of cheese error ...

I don't have a Raspberry Pi running Xastir at the moment so can't tell you
just what fonts are available but If you have xfontsel compiled into Xastir
bold is available for any font that supports it.

For example on my desktop here is my current station font:
-*-droid sans-bold-r-normal-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
I have bold for the Menu and Station fonts and medium for all the others.

I like the droid or roboto fonts since they seem to me to be more legible.

If I get a chance tonight I'll fire the Pi back up with Xastir and check the
available fonts.
--
Ken - N7IPB
Email: n7ipb at wetnet.net
JID: n7ipb at jabber.wetnet.net
PGP Sig: F42B EF90 3CD3 31C7 3056  122E 993A 7B2E 5138 C42A
“I never am really satisfied that I understand anything; because, understand
it well as I may, my comprehension can only be an infinitesimal fraction of
all I want to understand” -Ada Lovelace