[Xastir] Map Chooser and map display question on Raspberry Pi

Joseph LaFerla joe at laferla.ca
Sat Nov 4 11:18:42 PDT 2017

Hi

I have been experiencing problems displaying maps in Map Chooser and in the main xastir execution window.  I recently installed the latest version from source.  What happens is that my maps do not show up in the xastir window – I have only a blank screen.  In Map Chooser I have the Online directory and the two subdirectories but the geo files below that do not show up. Speaking with David Aitcheson, we noted that directories in the /usr/local tree have different permissions than the standard.  This is a dump of the directory /usr/local/share:

pi at shrimp16_pi:/usr/local/share $ ls -l
total 32
drwxrwsr-x  2 root staff 4096 Sep  7 11:08 ca-certificates
drwxr-sr-x  3 root staff 4096 Nov  2 16:05 doc
drwxrwsr-x  3 root staff 4096 Sep  7 11:19 emacs
drwxrwsr-x  2 root staff 4096 Sep  7 11:20 fonts
drwxrwsr-x  3 root staff 4096 Nov  2 16:05 man
drwxrwsr-x  7 root staff 4096 Sep  7 11:06 sgml
drwxr-sr-x 11 root staff 4096 Nov  4 08:42 xastir
drwxrwsr-x  6 root staff 4096 Sep  7 11:08 xml

This permission structure also appears in my other Raspberry pi.  The staff permission apparently is used in Raspbian, Debian and OSX at least.

We were wondering if this could be the reason why the geo files do not show up in Map Chooser and how do I fix it so that I am able to view the maps?  Please ask for further clarification.

Joe
VA3JLF

Sent from Mail for Windows 10