[Xastir] Mac Installation Questions

Chip Griffin n1mie at mac.com
Sat Nov 25 13:29:45 PST 2017

I am building from source. I have not used MacPorts in many many years and never on this machine (or any one of the last 3 or 4 machines). I do use Fink, but I’d prefer to install Xastir from source if possible. I’ve installed all the dependencies from Fink or apt-get. In the old days I seem to recall that almost everything could be done with Fink but there was one or two that had to be installed from source. There seemed to be a lot missing or under different names now (i.e., PCRE). Perhaps that is part of my problem. Perhaps I’ll go back and go through the dependencies more carefully.

I found the installation notes to be incomplete and not up-to-date with the latest version of OS X (high sierra).

> On Nov 25, 2017, at 10:44, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Chip Griffin <n1mie at mac.com> wrote:
>> It’s been a long time since I tried to install Xastir on a Mac. In recent years I’ve primarily run it from a Raspberry Pi. I’ve done that both using apt-get as well as from source. I forget how I got the source because today is the first time I’ve played with git. My hair is melting from butting heads with this stuff, so I’m reaching out for help.
>

> what method are you using - macports, fink, installing everything from source, etc?
>
> http://xastir.org/index.php/Installation_Notes#Mac_OSX
>
> In recent years i've just given up on a native mac build and installed in an ubuntu virtual machine.  virtualbox is a free virtualization platform that works just fine for applications like this. a major benefit for you would be that you've already built xastir on ubuntu for your pi, so it'll be pretty easy for you to do it again.
>
> -j

    Chip