[Xastir] RasPi upgrade continued ...

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 07:05:56 PDT 2017

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017, F1MHV wrote:

> To put 1 more stone in the garden, running Pi 3 and Raspian 8 Jessie, launching Xastir sometime the top menu bar disappear but desktop?s icons are remaining.

Just a thought: I wonder if this could be Linux getting into memory starvation due to Xastir using up a lot of memory. Can happen if you run Xastir on an internet feed with no filters, storing all the station data takes memory!

When Linux gets into memory starvation it starts killing processes randomly to free up memory. It could certainly kill whatever process does the top menu bar, but it could also kill anything else in memory.

_If_ that's the problem, it can be minimized by putting a radius filter in for the server connection, something like "m/500", which will cut down the memory Xastir uses due to keeping track of far fewer stations.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://we7u.wetnet.net/aprs_capabilities.html