[Xastir] non licensed callsign in my area

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Sep 7 17:57:26 PDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 12:13:30AM +0000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kd5mkv at hotmail.com> flavor, containing:
>  I found a possible illegal callsign with passcode 9922 on my xastir program, He was running a iphone app from the internet. I found a passcode generator online and typed impoop and received a aprs passcode.

Are you running Xastir with its server port on a public interface?  Are you gating his traffic?

>    I turned off my Igate which gets little activity here, the passcode generator was N5DUX but found others online. Is there a way to block these intruders?

Don't let anyone at all connect to your local Xastir instance through the
interwebz.  Put it behind a firewall, and expose your server port only to your
LAN.  If you are running a bi-directional igate (and these should be the only
kind) then monitor what is going out of your RF interface as third-party or
message traffic from APRS-IS.  Shut down your transmit if it's abused.

Can't think of any other way.  APRS pass codes are completely insecure, and
the algorithms have been public for well over a decade.  Anyone can write one,
and there's nothing to be done about it.  That cat is long out of the bag.