[Xastir] path question

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 07:41:48 PDT 2018

On Thu, 30 Aug 2018, Tom Henderson wrote:

> Is there a good explanation of paths and how they work in APRS someone could
> refer me to? I see bits and pieces out there, but nothing comprehensive tat
> explains it from the ground up.

How about this for a start?

   http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Paths

For the most part you've got WIDE1-1 that signifies one hop in all directions from -either- a home digipeater -or- a mountaintop digi, and

WIDEn-N higher than one, which will get you digipeated by only a mountaintop digi.

Put them together for a mobile and you get:

     WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1

For a base station perhaps WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2, or WIDE3-3. Gives you three hops in all directions using your neighbor and the mountaintops, or just the mountaintops, depending on how well you get out and whether you need that "assist" up to the mountaintops.

I think around here (Western WA) a lot of people run WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 or just WIDE2-2 for home stations, as the coverage is pretty good and you don't usually need to go three hops.

If you see anything online that talks about RELAY or WIDE (without the n-N portion) ignore it as it's many years too old. We haven't used those in decades.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://we7u.wetnet.net
Closed-minded about open (-source)...