[Xastir] Local OSM tile server

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 08:44:15 PST 2018

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 7:34 AM Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 9:21 PM Lee Bengston <lee.bengston at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I tried the procedure below today on a cheap laptop with a weak Celeron
> > CPU.
>

> Thanks Lee.  Can you give us some specs on the computer? clock rate, #
> cores, RAM, maybe some disk specs like interface speed or RPM?  Did you use
> this to feed maps to xastir running on the same machine?

Hey Jason, It's an Asus laptop with a dual core Celeron N2830 CPU @ 2.16
GHz.  It was very low end - got it in 2015 from Micro Center for something
like $170 or $180 (maybe even less - can't remember exactly).  I am indeed
feeding maps to Xastir running on the same machine.  With the web server
running on the same machine it's just a matter of using a geo file in the
same format of the online OSM maps that points to the localhost instead of
a remote web server.

> Is the tile server process compute-bound or I/O bound?

I'm not sure I fully understand that question, but I think it's
compute-bound.

> I've contemplated something similar using an Odroid XU4 which has double
> the RAM, clock, and # cores, USB3 instead of 2, Gb ethernet instead of
> 100M, etc as compared to the raspberry pi 3.  We've used them at work for
> virtualization (running VMs via qemu) and it's a pretty impressive little
> board for under US$100. There's a new variant called the HC1 ("home cloud")
> that forgoes several external connections but provides a SATA connector and
> disk mount so it can be dedicated to storage. If it had an HDMI port i'd
> probably already have one to make a tile server + xastir machine.  I do
> have one that I'm using for a home file server and it's solid, as are the
> 75 or so XU4s we have at work.

I've been looking for a more powerful Pi alternative, and it seems the
reviews of a lot of them cite a lack of stability.  Good to know the Odroid
XU4 has been solid for you.

> For the expense I'd probably be better off just going with a laptop, but I
> can't quite let go of the idea of a linux touchscreen mounted on the dash.
>
> That does sound attractive.  I have a 2009 Netbook with an Atom
processor.  I may try the local server thing next with that.

Lee - K5DAT

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>