[Xastir] AX 25 networking kernel warnings --- heads up all AX.25 users Re: Error in Syslog

David Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Sun Feb 4 11:16:41 PST 2018

Hey Tom, Everyone,

> I would appreciate it if *everyone* on the list who uses AX.25 networking
> routinely would test out this code --- it impacts *everyone* who uses AX.25
> networking in Xastir.

The Ax.25 stack in the Linux kernel is falling apart and there have been
various discussions about this on the UROnode list and elsewhere.  The
situation is that other (non-AX25) Linux kernel developers have been
making changes, updates, deprecations, etc. to keep up with general
kernel modernization efforts but without testing any of the changes on
the AX.25 side of things.  It seems that if it compiles, it must be
working.  Not true!  For various classic packet uses, 3.17.x was the
last version before things started getting really broken.

Most of these have been reported to the "AX25 kernel maintainers" but
those people say they *aren't* the maintainers on the kernel side.. just
the userland side.  Putting it another way, we don't have any Linux
AX.25 maintainers anymore!  Unless we can find some folk who have the
technical chops to fix some of these issues (I wish I did), I imagine
the native AX.25 stack in Linux will become toxic and ultimately
removed.  If there is anyone who is willing to give this a try, I can
connect you with a few other people who have a consolidated list of
issues and some possible fixes.  Some of those fixes were previously
rejected from the kernel maintainers for various reasons without
offering solutions.

--David
KI6ZHD