[Xastir] AX 25 networking kernel warnings --- heads up all AX.25 users Re: Error in Syslog

Ken Koster n7ipb at wetnet.net
Mon Feb 5 07:19:54 PST 2018

On Monday, February 5, 2018 6:39:11 AM PST Max Harper wrote:
> Why does ax.25 need to be in the kernel?

Because it's part of the network stack.

> What am I installing when I do
> apt-get install ax25?

Probably the ax25-tools.

> What about the millions of users that don't use
> ax.25, doesn't that just make the kernel a little larger for them without
> any benefits?

The kernel doesn't work that way.   The linux kernel is modular and there are thousands of
modules for special purposes that get loaded when needed.   Modules for different hardware,  file
systems, different protocols and interfaces.

The ax25 kernel support is what provides a network interface (like ethernet drivers)  and a
protocol stack.  It's a module so it doesn't take up space if it's not needed.  When you setup and
configure ax25 the kernel module will be loaded and do it's job.

N7IPB

<xastir at trinnet.net> flavor, containing:

--
Ken - N7IPB
Email: n7ipb at wetnet.net
JID: n7ipb at jabber.wetnet.net
PGP Sig: F42B EF90 3CD3 31C7 3056  122E 993A 7B2E 5138 C42A
I've calculated my velocity with such exquisite precision that I have no idea where I am.