[Xastir] [russo at bogodyn.org: [Xastir-dev] New release coming up soon, old release "regenerated" on Github, call for discussion]

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Feb 9 12:46:26 PST 2018

Gang:

On Wednesday, I sent the message below to the Xastir-dev mailing list,
presuming that anyone who's a package maintainer for Xastir on some Linux (or
other) distribution certainly must already be on the developers' mailing list.
I just noticed that some folks who post here and say they maintain Xastir
packages are NOT on that list.

The short story:

I am preparing to do our first real release since Xastir moved from
SourceForge CVS to Github Git.  I plan to do it sometime tomorrow.  It will
be Xastir 2.1.0.  It is largely a maintenance release, but does have some
good new stuff in it including IPv6 support, a new script to support WXNOW.TXT
weather stations, updated DBFAWK files for NWS shapefiles, AIS and ADS-B
support, support for proportional fonts in map labels, unbroken compressed
weather alerts, etc.  You know, everything that's in the Git repo on the
master branch since 2.0.8 was released.

To prepare for the next release, I tested out a release process by
re-releasing Xastir 2.0.8 (from July 2016) as a Github release, since
the previous release was done on SourceForge.  My intent was that
people who maintain Xastir packages could use it to prep their packaging
process to pull from Github instead of SourceForge --- the result should be
an Xastir build that is identical to what you were doing for Xastir 2.0.8
prior to the git move, but using the new package source and tarball structure.

If you are a package maintainer for Xastir, I ask:

  1) Please join xastir-dev, so you can get stuff like this a little earlier.
     xastir-dev is supposed to be where the developers discuss technical
     aspects of Xastir development, but it's also where we talk about
     pushing out releases (every couple of years, whether we need one or not).

  2) Please update your package building process so it can work with the
     new github release distribution process, as described below.

  3) If your package is anything older than 2.0.8, please, please, please
     update it.  I am seeing signs that some package systems may still
     have 2.0.6, 2.0.4, or maybe even 2.0.0 in them (judging from the
     number of connections to APRS-IS servers from programs that old).

If you are not a package maintainer, but do USE a packaged version of Xastir,
and the maintainer of that package is not subscribed to this list already,
I ask you:

  1) Please contact the package maintainer and ask him or her to join
     xastir-dev.

  2) Forward this email to him or her.

If you are NOT a package maintainer for Xastir on some package management
system, but have ever created an "Installation Notes" page on the Xastir wiki,
I ask that you go through your old installation notes and make sure that none
of them reference sourceforge source code tarballs or sourceforge CVS.  There
are just too many of those Installation Notes for me to go through them all
myself, and many of them pertain to OS's that I have no way of testing out.

If you are neither a package maintainer nor a wiki page author, and you want
to help out, I ask that you take a moment to read over some of the README.*
files in Xastir's source tree and let us know which ones have unbelievably
outdated information in them that should be update.  I have been picking
through them and trying to bring them up to date, but there are so many that
my eyes are starting to bleed.  At this point, I have to stop and just go
ahead and push out what we have as of tomorrow (afternoonish).

BTW, if anyone has ever built Xastir on Mac OS X using Homebrew as the package
manager, it would be great to have an Installation Note for it.  The current
OS X install notes pertain only to Fink and MacPorts (and I have no idea
whether they still work).

----- Forwarded message from Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> -----