[Xastir] NWS Info

Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate gerry.creager at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 16 09:24:37 PST 2018

So, for NWS warnings, there are a couple of ways to get them. Tom's
identified th most "normal" web-scraping method.

Another method is to use a system from UCAR/Unidata, called LDM, to receive
the weather warnings and parsethe header for the VTEC info, which
identifies the type of warning, and the polygon vertices. Building a
shapefile from that is pretty straightforward, especially if you store the
polygon info in a PostGIS database then drag it out with a shapefile
query...

Let me see if I can approximate some of the LDM functionality in Python (or
find someone who's done that legwork already!) over the next 2 weeks. It
should be do-able. I'll also have to identify a source who'll work with us
to provide the LDM data, as my old haunt, Texas A&M, and all the
infrastructure I set up to support this stuff, is getting out of that line
of work. Seems the current management, now that I've left, could see no
benefit to generating good will  for TAMU, among all the users who received
LDM data from them.

gerry

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 10:37 AM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 08:25:55AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron
> collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> > On Fri, 16 Feb 2018, Tom Russo wrote:
> >
> > > That is, unless Curt is just dying to jump in and take this over, in
> which
> > > case he should reassign the bug to himself:
> >
> > You're funny.
>
> A regular riot.
>
> > I'm in final preparations for a multi-hour in-the-field test of my H/W
> units tomorrow. No time!
>
> GL with that trial run.  Lemme know how it pans out.
>
> In the meantime, I'll try to attack this NWS issue tonight.  I don't think
> it's as big a deal as it appeared at first, just some changed URLs.  At
> worst maybe a new dbfawk file to go with it.
>
> --
> Tom Russo    KM5VY
> Tijeras, NM
>
>  echo "prpv_a'rfg_cnf_har_cvcr" | sed -e 's/_/ /g' | tr [a-m][n-z]
> [n-z][a-m]

Gerry Creager
NSSL/CIMMS
405.325.6371