[Xastir] Autostart Xastir

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 19:10:13 PST 2018

On Feb 19, 2018 6:38 PM, "Steven Morrison" <morrison.monahans at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

On 2/19/2018 2:16 PM, Joseph LaFerla wrote:

> Hi
>
> Finally, I am actively trying to find a way to start Xastir after bootup
> of the Raspberry pi gui.  The other day we had a power  failure which
> caused the pi to reboot.  Since I have until now always started xastir
> manually from a terminal window with xastiur &, when the power came back
> xastir did not start up.  I have searched the archives and online for
> something that works.  Problem is that the xastir executable has to run
> after the gui comes up.  I don’t think this issue is specific to a rpi.  I
> would think the same consideration would apply to any Linux gui that runs
> after Linux has booted up.  Can anybody outline the steps I need to do to
> make this happen?
>
> Thanks as always.
>
> Joe
> VA3JLF

Joe,

This is a copy of  an email I sent to some friends last August, describing
how I got Xastir to start automatically  at reboot on my Raspberry PI.
Raspbian is going through some changes as the system adopts to the new
systemd startup process, but parts are still handled by the window manager:

Hi All,

I finally got my Raspberry Pi to automatically load Xastir on startup and
reboot. I've been wrestling with this for a long time off and on, and
Finally got it to work last night.

I had been trying to use the new systemd startup process and had a .desktop
unit file defined but it never worked, and I could never even find any
failure messages.  It turns out the default X-windows manager is LXDE, not
Gnome or KDE.  Apparently LXDE hasn't implemented all of the systemd
startup processing. Last night I finally found a reference to auto starting
LXDE jobs that worked .

Here are the basic steps I followed:

1. Define a simple shell program: /sudo nano /usr/local/bin/start_xastir.sh
/*/
/*

*#!/bin/bash
# This shell starts Festival text to speech program than starts the xastir
APRS$

echo "Starting  start_xastir script"

xterm -e festival &
echo "Festival Started"
Sleep 5

xterm -e xastir &

exit
*

2. add the script to the USER auto start entries for LXDE: /sudo nano
//|~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart|/

|(this path may also show LXDE-pi instead of LXDE. Both point to the same
locations on my system)

*@lxpanel --profile LXDE**
**@pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE**
**@xscreensaver -no-splash**
**@sh /usr/local/bin/start_xastir.sh**
*

Interesting, a few years ago I was able to auto-start an application in
LXDE on a Raspberry Pi by editing this file: (or creating it new if it
didn't exist)

/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/startup

I wasn't starting Xastir at that time, but if I had, there would have been
only one line in the file as follows:

@/usr/local/bin/start_xastir.sh

The above assumes there is a script that starts xastir in /usr//local/bin
as given by the example above.  This worked for me, but it was an older
version of Raspbian at that time.

Lee - K5DAT