[Xastir] Autostart Xastir

Max Harper kg4pid at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 19:28:39 PST 2018

Following the instructions at the provided link, I made the changes. It works, but with a twist. This machine runs AX.25, LDSPED, APRX and Xastir. It has a monitor connected but is normally used like a headless machine. I normally use SSH to make changes and VNC if I want to see Xastir. I can run most any aprs client on my PC or laptop and have it connect to LDSPED and see everything that the TNC sees. Since VNC doesn't actually show the console desktop, after a reboot I always had to VNC in and then start Xastir. At that point the console display would still show a login prompt. After making the change to the .config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart file I rebooted. The console was showing a login prompt as expected. About 20 minutes later when I used VNC to remote into the system I was looking at the desktop with Xastir running. But I could tell that it had been running for awhile because Xastir was displaying a full map full of stations and that takes awhile to populate. How did it know to run in the GUI session that only VNC uses? I'm not complaining because I always had to start Xastir manually before. I don't know what will happen if I login at the console and do a 'startx' to bring up a desktop. If it also starts Xastir then there would be two instances running. Can Xastir do that without coughing up a hairball?
Max KG4PID      From: Lee Bengston <lee.bengston at gmail.com>