[Xastir] Xastir on Android

Kurt ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 25 21:34:11 PST 2018

Well chute, (I fly amateur rockets)

  Here's a wiki on Xastir on android: http://xastir.org/index.php/Android_via_GNUroot_and_XSDLMr. moderator let this link and others show up please.  The only problem with this installation is one cannot connect up B/T or I believe USB TNC's orwhat have you to make full use out of Xastir.  It's only via -IS and that's it.  GPS share won't
transmit one's altitude above sea level if interested in that.  It works otherwise.  Get GPS Share up and
running before opening XSDL. Have GPS share set to "listen" and minimize it.  Fire up XSDL and
when you get the blue screen, minimize it. Now open GNUroot and put in the crazy commands and minimize
the GNUroot Debian window and pull up XSDL you had minimized.  Yeah a real PITA (Pain In the A "you know what")Link for running GNUroot debian in XSDL:  Guide: Installing and Running a GNU/Linux Environment on Any Android Device

It's very maddening in that the Wifi link had on the Android side is automatically there on the GNUroot Debian side!
If one pairs a B/T keyboard or mouse on the Android side, it's there on the GNUroot Debian side!  Try and pair a
Mobilnkd or AP510 and one is SOL.  In fact any B/T serial device other than the mouse or a keyboardwill not be accessible.  I've posted (politely mind you) on the git-hub but no responses about B/T
and I don't think I heard from the author either.  Xastir is castrated on Android for now.

On the plus side, it does work and I've been able to do most operations with my fingertips!  Yup, first timeI've controlled Xastir from a touchscreen and it's pretty impressive.  One has to diddle with the XSDL settingswith accessing the setup screen but it's not that bad.  A Nexus 7 2012 is very serviceable and an N7 2013 is evenfaster.  They are a heck'a va lot faster than the nearly defunct The Next Thing, "Pocket CHIP" which is single
threaded.  If one wants to see what Xastir looks like on a 4 inch screen this is it but unfortunately I thinkT.N.T. and the Pocket Chip is going defunct.  1Ghz single threaded CPU is pretty slow these days and I had to
run the system as "root" to get my external B/T TNC's to connect and run an Rf mouse in the USB port........Plus, having to plug in an external battery (though they are a dime a dozen now) in the micro USB charge port asthe power requirement goes up with the Rf mouse and B/T running.

If GNUroot could get access to B/T stuff that's paired on the Android side besides a Freak'in mouse or
keyboard, this would be a "killer" app for Xastir on Android.  Kurt KC9LDH