[Xastir] Map tile display issue

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Jul 22 07:28:12 PDT 2018

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 12:26:00AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <domwrx at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to Xastir. I just completed a fresh install and have had great
> success with receiving stations and configuring my station. I am using an
> Acer AspireOne ZG5 loaded with Xubuntu. I am now experimenting with the
> different map types. Currently, the only map that works is the default
> worldhi.map (I believe this is an offline map that is static). I am trying
> to use the internet OSM maps, such as Online/OSM_tiled.cycle.geo and
> others.

When you say you've got a fresh install, do you mean one that you compiled
from source?

> With every map, I am getting all black tiles. I have no error or
> connectivity messages in the terminal. I have played with different
> settings in the properties tab. When I load the map, it appears to download
> and load the map (x out of x tiles etc). For some reason, the tiles are not
> showing up correctly. I have a feeling the process to download them is
> working properly.

I would suspect a rendering failure over a download failure, but let's check:
 - Select the OSM_tiled_mapnik online source (because I know this one works)
 - cd into .xastir/OSMtiles/mapnik and use "ls -lrt" to find the
   directory that has changed most recently.  cd into that directory.
 - view one of the .png files in the bottom directory in an image viewer
   (e.g. "gm display" to display with GraphicsMagick or "display" for
    ImageMagick).
 - If the image looks good, it downloaded fine and the black thing is just
   Xastir's fault

Please tell us the following:

   What does the "Help->About" box say about Xastir and GraphicsMagick versions?
   Mine (which works fine) says:

   Xastir V2.1.1 (322d3242)
   [...]
   Libraries used: GraphicsMagick libProj GeoTiff GDAL/OGR ShapeLib PCRE Dbfawk map_caching rtree libcurl

   [...]
   GraphicsMagick 1.3.28 2018-01-20 Q16 http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/

> On a side note, I get the status message "map not found in cache" when
> trying to load the Online/nationalmap.gov maps. In the terminal I get
> "internet map timeout" error messages.

That server is probably gone.  It may be time for us to remove those options.
This happens a lot with tile servers.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM