[Xastir] Getting maps from download.geofabrik.de to work

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Mar 4 10:18:24 PST 2018

Xastir cannot read map files in OSM format.  You have to download the shapefile
versions.

The shapefile versions for North America appear to be available at
http://download.geofabrik.de/north-america.html

Xastir has a set of DBFAWK files (shapefile rendering rules) for the geofabrik
shapefiles, but only for the roads and waterways shapefiles.

On Sun, Mar 04, 2018 at 10:43:35AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <tommasz at frontiernet.net> flavor, containing:
> Forgive me if this question has been asked.
>
> I???ve downloaded .osm maps from download.geofabrik.de <http://download.geofabrik.de/> but Xastir doesn???t seem to recognize them. Do they need to be converted or the extension changed from .osm to something else?
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
>
> Tom.
> KC2TCK
>
> tommasz at frontiernet.net