[Xastir] Getting maps from download.geofabrik.de to work

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Mar 4 11:31:02 PST 2018

On Sun, Mar 04, 2018 at 12:24:06PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Sun, Mar 04, 2018 at 11:18:24AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> > Xastir cannot read map files in OSM format.  You have to download the shapefile
> > versions.
> >
> > The shapefile versions for North America appear to be available at
> > http://download.geofabrik.de/north-america.html
> >
> > Xastir has a set of DBFAWK files (shapefile rendering rules) for the geofabrik
> > shapefiles, but only for the roads and waterways shapefiles.
>
> And it appears that this set of DBFAWK files is out-of-date, as the dbf
> signature in the new shapefiles doesn't match the dbf signature in the
> OSM_geofabrik_roads.dbfawk file.  We'll need to update that.
>
> Unfortunately, it's not going to be as simple as making the dbfinfo field
> match, because they have clearly replaced the old "type" field with a new
> "fclass" field --- someone will need to check the new feature classes against
> the old type names, and rewrite the dbfawk to suit.

If anyone on the list has the time and energy to spend looking into this
issue, I've opened an issue on Github for it:
https://github.com/Xastir/Xastir/issues/32

This should be a matter of matching up values of the "fclass" field with
what the old "type" field held, and reworking the dbfawk file to match it.