[Xastir] Send message function broken on Ubuntu Linux?

David A Aitcheson david.aitcheson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 10:43:11 PST 2018

On 11/13/18 12:06 PM, Tom Russo wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 11:41:36AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <david.aitcheson at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
>> Curt / Tom,
>>
>> de Dave KB3EFS
>>
>> Not sure if it is Xastir or a Gnome on Ubuntu 14.04.04 issue.
>>
>> As recently as this past summer I was able to send a message to a APRS
>> mobile from my laptop via APRS-IS.
>>
>> Now I can bring up the screen and get the cursor in the correct field
>> but when I type a message it does not show up on the screen.
>>
>> I refreshed Xastir with the included update script this morning; but I
>> am not sure of when this function stopped working.
> Cannot reproduce this on my own 14.04 system.  Current code works fine.
>
> How are you launching Xastir?
>
> In the past, I have observed some very strange things if one sets the
> LANG or LOCALE variable to "C" in a desktop launcher on Ubuntu, things like
> losing the ability to type into dialogs.  This used to be the guidance before
> Curt changed the code (a few years ago) to do its own internal setting of
> locale for purposes of reading the config file, and should no longer be
> necessary (and indeed, I have found it to be harmful on my own Ubuntu system
> from time to time).
>
> Try launching Xastir from a terminal window instead of a launcher icon, and
> before doing so check your $LANG variable.  When mine is left alone at its
> default (en_US.UTF-8) Xastir works just fine on Ubuntu 14.04.

Tom,

I am normally launching Xastir from a launcher on my Desktop.

In a "Root" terminal checking on the "Lang" setting I get:

root at david-Gazelle-Professional:/home/david# locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
root at david-Gazelle-Professional:/home/david#

and in a "user" terminal running "xastir" I get:

david at david-Gazelle-Professional:~/Desktop$ xastir

Built-in map types:
      gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
       pop   USGS GNIS Datapoints w/population
       map   APRSdos Maps
       map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
       pdb   PocketAPRS Maps

Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
       geo   Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many formats
allowed)
       geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)
       geo   URL (OpenStreetMaps via libcurl library
                  Copyright OpenStreetMap and contributors, CC-BY-SA)
       shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
       xpm   X Pixmap Maps (XPM library)
       tab   MapInfo TAB
       mid   MapInfo MID
       mif   MapInfo MIF
       ddf   Spatial Data Transfer Standard (SDTS)
       s57   International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) S-57
       dgn   MicroStation DGN
       rt1   US Census Bureau TIGER/Line

Indexing maps...
Finished indexing maps
*** Reading WX Alert log files
*** Done with WX Alert log files
Warning:
    Name: create_appshell text_output2
    Class: XmTextField
    Character '\260' not supported in font.  Discarded.

Warning:
    Name: create_appshell text_output2
    Class: XmTextField
    Character '\260' not supported in font.  Discarded.

The "Warning" repeats constantly until I exit from Xastir. Like I said,
I must have a configuration error on my end. I am not sure when the
Warning starts showing up. I'll have to run a few more cycles.

73
Dave
KB3EFS