[Xastir] constant warnings in term after update and ipv6 (updated) isn't broke

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Nov 14 14:03:34 PST 2018

FWIW, Character code (octal) 260  or hex char B0 is the degree symbol in
the extended ASCII character set, which is currently being output to the map
using stuff like:
 xastir_snprintf(temp_my_course, sizeof(temp_my_course), "%.0f\xB0",
                atof(temp1_my_course));

That is, we're writing the degree sign in the extended ASCII character set
directly to the string being blatted onto the map, and thereby *assuming*
the C locale.  Before the set_to_C_locale/restore_from_C_locale thing was
put in, we were basically always in C locale after a certain stage, and so this
Just Worked.  Now that we're only in C locale in specific portions of the code,
it's borken.

I can see a few ways of addressing it, but the easiest might be to hack in
set_to_C_locale/restore_from_C_locale around all of those snprintfs and
CreateManagedWidget calls.

There are 21 places where character code \xB0 appears.  Two of those
are commented out.  Not all are for map rendering -- some are in creation
of configuration widgets.

Another approach would be to scribble the degree sign into the display (and
some X dialogs) without resorting to the ASCII character code, but that might
be tricky.  A couple years ago, someone accidentally changed \xB0 into
UTF-8 encoded degree symbols and that broke map displays.  One would have
to come up with a way of displaying the degree symbol that did not depend on
the locale setting.

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 01:35:17PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <davidf4 at mindspring.com> flavor, containing:
> IPV6 is once again working for firenet so it must have been a temporary
> fluke..
>
> Now the only issue is that lovely repeating character message.  And I can
> confirm that doing a
>
> LANG="" xastir
>
> Does not produce the error message...

Tom Russo    KM5VY