[Xastir] constant warnings in term after update and ipv6 (updated) isn't broke

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Nov 17 13:55:27 PST 2018

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 01:33:17PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <xastir at deej.net> flavor, containing:
> Hi Tom,
>  ?????? Hopefully this may help as additional troubleshooting info.
>
>  ?????? If I revert to the version I downloaded and installed on 30 Sep, I
> do not get the Character 260 warnings, so it must be something
> introduced to the code within the past 6 weeks.

It's no mystery about what introduced it, it was the code change that added
the Greek language to Xastir --- prior to that change, Xastir unconditionally
set the locale to C for LC_NUMERIC and LC_CTYPE while reading the config
file, and left it there for the rest of the time Xastir was running.  After
that change, Xastir is continually setting to C locale for some operations,
then restoring to whatever it was before --- this was necessary to allow the
new language option.

Now, we're hunting down all the places where not being in C locale is breaking
things.

There's got to be a better way to handle the new language option, but I won't
be able to be the one to fix it.

Honestly, maybe the old way of doing things should be brought back, and
conditionalized on whether the current language setting is Greek, rather
than trying to fix all the old languages that were fine before.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM