[Xastir] Kantronics DiGi help

David Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Mon Nov 26 08:50:23 PST 2018

Hello Danny,

> I am helping a friend of mine EX0CK from Kyrgistan setup an iGate
> (EX0CK-1 with a Kantronics KPC-3 v8.2) which seems to be working well
> with Xastir, or at least it is beaconing and is visible on
> www.aprs.fi. However, we are trying to also setup a DiGiPeater in the
> same area (EX0CK-10 with a Kantronics KPC-3+ v9.1 ) just as a
> digipeater for a project we are working on. The KPC-3+ is standalone
> and is not interfaced with any software. We want EX0CK-1 (KPC-3
> connected to Xastir) to be an iGate and EX0CK-10 (KPC-3+) to be a
> digipeater only.

For the EC0CK-1 digi, what paths do you want it to support?  WIDE1-1
only?  WIDE2-1 and WIDE1-1 only?

Next, can you send us a copy of the packet string that the EX0CK-10 is
beaconing out that you're hoping to see on APRS.FI (via EX0CK-1)?  You
can use various tools to inspect your string to make sure it's ok such as:

    #example from
https://aprs-python.readthedocs.io/en/stable/parse_formats.html
    #
    sudo pip install aprslib
    python
    import aprslib
    aprslib.parse("FROMCALL>TOCALL:!4903.50N/07201.75W-Test /A=001234")
    quit ()

> ###### EX0CK-10 Standalone digi (KPC-3+)###################

. . .
> LTP
> 1 APN382 VIA WIDE2-2
> 2 APN382
> 3 APN382
> 4 APN382

These look wrong as I would expect this to be "APN391" for your KPC3+
v9.1 TNC.  Seems you mistakenly cut and pasted from a different TNC.

> MYCALL   EX0CK-1 0

Why is there a space in there?   You should read the recommended APRS
configuration setup from WB4APR -
http://www.aprs.org/kpc3/kpc3+WIDEn.txt .  Specifically, you ideally put
a LOCATION name in there like "BISHKEK"

> MYALIAS  WIDE1-1

This is wrong.  Per the above URL, set this to something useless like NONE

> MYDROP   0
> MYNODE   EX0CK-1 0

Why is there a space in here as well?

> PACLEN   0

Not sure why you overrode the default of 128 bytes here though I don't
think it will hurt you

> TXDELAY  18

Are you sure this is enough time for your radio to key up?  Until you
get things working 100%, I would recommend to set this to something
conservative like 30  (aka.. 300ms)

> UIDIGI   ON WIDE1-1

Are you sure you don't want to support WIDE2-1 as well?

--David
KI6ZHD